Are you doing a practicum, internship, student teaching hours, service learning or clinical hours for your degree?
Do you want to make a difference in your community?
Could you use $1000+ to help pay for your education?
“Students In Service” is a part-time AmeriCorps/Hawaii Pacific Islands Campus Compact Program that offers scholarships in the form of educational vouchers to college students who do community service.
Where is the program offered?
Students in Service (SIS) is a program of Washington Campus Compact (WACC) with funding from the Corporation for National and Community Service. SIS is offered in California, Hawaii (including Guam, Saipan and American Samoa), Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska. WACC administers the SIS program in Idaho, Washington, and Alaska while California Campus Compact, Hawaii Pacific Islands Campus Compact, and Oregon Campus Compact administers the SIS program in their respective states.
Due to the economic times that the nation is facing our program is now filled so we cannot take anymore applicants. We are sorry and will tell when the program will be open again.
How large a scholarship can I earn?
- 300 hours of service = $1,132 (1 year to complete)
- 450 hours of service = $1,415 (1 year to complete)
- 900 hours of service = $2,675 (2 years to complete)
Who is eligible?
Students at an eligible Higher Education Institution enrolled at least half time. Anyone who volunteers in a non-profit and not receiving any pay (unless you are receiving Federal Work Study and in a service position). This includes all Nursing, Medical, Dental, Social Work, Counseling Psychology, Student Teaching, Health Promotion, Service Learning and Social Sciences students who do clinical, practicum, service learning or student teaching in a service setting within the community. You must be a: US Citizen, US National, or Legal Permanent Resident Alien.
What activities qualify?
Academic and co-curricular service-learning, non-paid academic internships, clinical hours, practicum hours, and student teaching hours as long as the position has a service focus (i.e. counseling, social work, nursing). Community service in the areas of education, public safety, environmental initiatives, homeland security, human services and most volunteer work, including tutoring, mentoring, stream restoration, and volunteer recruitment.
How does it work?
- Log on to http://www.studentsinservice.org.
- Complete the pre-service online orientation and click on “print the questionnaire”.
- Keep the questionnaire as you will need it to enroll in the program and keep a copy of all paperwork for your records.
and we will send you the orientation schedule (group orientations are done in August/September and January/February) and individual orientations are done on a case-by-case basis.
- Go to the FORMS link on the left hand side of the web page, print out the ENROLLMENT PACKAGE and bring it with you to your in-person orientation.
- ENROLL IN THE PROGRAM and begin serving your community!
For more information, contact:
- University of Hawaii at Manoa | Hawaii Pacific Islands Campus Compact | Service Learning Program
- 2600 Campus Road Room 209
- Honolulu, HI 96822
Download the 2009 Orientation Schedule (48kb PDF)